Proving once again that my sense of humor is only funny to me, I bring you 31 snowclones about Software, Computers and Technology.
No, I’m not talking about snocones although I’m sure there are more than 31 flavors, most of them horrible like Bertie’s Everflavor Beans (One vomit snocone please!).
Snowclones are just a reference to a cliche that has been slightly altered for a new situation, like “In a Panic Room, no one can hear you scream!”, referencing the 1979 Alien movie tag line, “In Space, no one can hear you scream.” The snowclone here is “In X, no one can Y.”
For your amusement, I’ve collected these snowclones relating to software. Enjoy and add any others you’ve heard in the comments…
- Ruby/OCaml/Haskell/Python is the new Java.
- Manual? We don’t need no stinking manual!
- Or the new one for interpreted languages: Compilers? We don’t need no stinking compilers!
- This is your brain. This is your brain on perl. Any questions?
- “GOTO Considered Harmful” Considered Harmful’ Considered Harmful?
- Bastard Operator from Hell
- I’m not an ISO-9000 certified tester, but I play one at my day job!
- If you’re a Sun employee: I, for one, welcome our new Oracle overlords.
- Or, if you’re a Yahoo employee: I, for one, welcome our new Microsoft overlords.
- Untested code is the dark matter of software.
- Lines and Transfers and Bits, oh my!
- I’m in ur source codez, fixin ur bugz
- Open is the new closed
- These are not the MacBooks you’re looking for (wave hand while saying it)
- Data synchronization is hard. Let’s go shopping!
- Or maybe, LISP is hard. Let’s go shopping!
- What Would Bill Gates Do? (WWBGD)
- If Linux is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.
- Whatever flips your bits.
- Got root?
- There’s no place like 127.0.0.1
- Don’t hate me because I’m a DBA.
- Dammit Jim, I’m an architect, not a project manager!
- There’s no crying in Cocoa Touch Development!
- And by “*” I mean “gets around 760,000 hits on Google.”
- Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead of the Open Source movement
- One bitchin, fully-debugged algorithm does not an releasable application make.
- Linux developers are from Mars, Windows Programmers are from Venus.
- Rabid Atheistic Hackers for Jesus.
- If I had a nickel for every Haskell program I could find, I’d be broke.
- Holy segmentation fault, Batman!